SC - What medieval foods are still eaten?

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Tue Nov 23 12:36:47 PST 1999

It's finally over.

The vigil went very well despite the expected unexpected
problems.

It was very popular and some people even tried to keep
some dishes to themselves. It was all sevrved on silver
with "rare, finely carved bone forks" (okay plastic but
work with me here)

A couple of problems were that the tart bottoms didn't
cook. From now on I'll use prebaked shells. The solution
was that I cooked them in the bottom of a pot over the
cajun cooker for a bit then removed the filling and the cooked
crust into a bowl and served the Mushroom tart and Ember
Day tarts as a side dish.

The fried turnovers were a big hit and at times were eaten
as fast as they could be made.

We made a bit too much chicken for the sage sauce so it
wasn't as potent as we wanted but it was still popular.
We put it on a platter and surrounded it with the carrot
salad. The carrots were beautiful. Bright orange with
dark green herbs. Very tasty as well.

We served hot spiced cider since it was a cold night.

There was one knight who refused to let anybody else have
the gravlax. It was more popular than I expected although there
was a lot left over.

We actually had leftover everything. I think it was because
we expected a bigger crowd and also it is hard to cook
for less than 200.

The next night we took most of the leftovers and put them
together in a big soup. It was pretty good with some sweet
aftertones from the ember day tarts. I think it needed Cholula
Sauce.

Everybody was happy and enjoyed the period food.

Another step forward.

Yers,

Gunthar