SC - Pizzelle/Krumkake Irons question

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Nov 23 22:06:49 PST 1999

We have spent a lot of time recent debating maple syrup production
in Florida recently, so when I saw this book in a recent Daedalus Books
catalog I thought some of you might be interested.

- ---------
91386
SUGARTIME, The Hidden Pleasures of Making Maple Syrup With a Primer for the
Novice Sugarer. Susan Carol Hauser, Lyons Press list price:$22.95
Daedalus price: $3.98 (They do have a $4.95 shipping charge per order, though)

Sugaring is the act of collecting maple sap to make maple syrup, an early
spring endeavor that takes place all around the country. It is a time-honored
tradition that has changed little since the Native Americans sugared centuries
ago. "Sugartime" depicts the act of sugaring, a soulful activity that, like
the best outdoor hobbies, slows time down to a sweet drip, drip, drip.
Interspersed with the book's lyrical account of a season in the sugarbush
are seperate sections that serve as a primer to guide the beginner through
every stage of sugaring, from selecting trees and hanging sap buckets to
finishing off maple syrup. (143/97)
- ---------

I think the numbers in the parentheses are number of pages and year of
publication respectively.

I have no connection with this company other than having purchased through
them before. They sometimes have cookbooks on period cooking at good prices.
I have been pleased with their service.

I don't know how good this book is, having never seen it, but I thought
at this price some of you might want to expand upon Brandu's explantions
of maple sugaring.

Their phone is: 1-800-395-2665 and their web address is: www.daedalusbooks.com
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net