SC - medicinal cooking

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 23 23:21:51 PST 1999

Aelfwyn said:
> In light of the recent discussions about various forms of wafers, I've been
> looking for an iron to try my hand with. Turns out my Mother-in-law (who
> hates to cook) has an electric nonstick version of the iron with the
> Norwegian motifs and in an "antique" store today I spotted a manual Jotul
> model with the same design. My question is: I have an electric range in my
> kitchen, can I use the manual model with it? And Stefan, how did your later
> wafer trials come out (hope you're feeling better)?
> Thanks in advance for any advice on the iron models.

I chose the electric version of wafer iron since it was only $10 more than
the non-electric one and I thought the heat might be more even. The non-
electric one does give you the option of using it in camp on a fire or a
Coleman stove. But on the web the manual one was around $40 and the electric
one around $50. I ended up buying it from a country store/general store type
place here in Austin.

When I get some time I will write up my dessert course. The wafers worked
well, but by the time dessert came around the Nobles were pretty full and
only ate about half my stuff even though the number had suddenly doubled
at the event from 12 to 25 or so. They also had some people bring more
dessert dishes for the larger crowd, so my contribution was a bit diminished
in the total scheme of things.

However, after the feast I broke the wafers up and wandered around camp
offering them to the populace as well as the unfinished fruits and
hypocras.

I got two of the wafer recipes to work. I did not have success with the
one in the Polish cookbook. More details when I dig out my notes.

For those interested in wafers, I have been making numerous updates to
this file in the FOOD-BREAD section of my Florilegium during the discussions
prior to my event.
wafers-msg        (46K) 10/ 8/99    Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.

I'm feeling better but my back still aches. I'm working half days at work
for now. Sometimes I get impatient with my slow recovery, but I'm told that
back injuries are often slow to heal. Walking around is a lot more painful
than sitting at the computer. :-) So the Florilegium has gotten a lot of
work done on it. 50 Mbytes of files are now at the new site. Only 70 or
80 Mbytes more to move from the old site. All files are reachable from the
index files at the site given below, so you shouldn't be affected by this.
I'm having to update the files as I move them, so it's not a simple copy.
I'm hoping a new software package I've ordered will let me automate this
more.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net