SC - Thanksgiving & Cooking gifts

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Wed Nov 24 13:35:58 PST 1999

Was written:

>I'm thinking of getting a nice chef's knife for Alys. I'm thinking
>of a 6" decent knife.  Any suggestions for less than $60?

Odd you should ask as I just got my Consumer Reports "Buying Guide 2000".

They rated, among the fine-edged knives that require honing, quote  "The
excellent Tramontina Professional knives sold at Wal-Mart, $60 for three,
are undisputably the best value but an anomaly.  We judges them "A CR Best
Buy"."  The specific entry says

Tramontina Professional $60
Excellent.  A CR Best Buy.
Forged. Great for blade grip.  Many different types.  8-inch slicer tested.
Sold at Wal-/mart.  25-yr. warrenty.  Heavier than most.  BUT: Sold only
singly.

Also rans in the price range quoted for a sets of three:

Chicago Cutlery Walnut Tradition $40
A very good set but check the handles.

Chicago Cutlery 440 A Fine $60
Very good performance and price.  If you don't mind the handles.

In the same catagory for real quality in a single knife in the price range
quoted I suggest shopping around in the following order of preference for
single knives in the following lines;   Wusthof Grand Prix,  Wusthof Trident
Classic,  Henkels Professional "S",   Henkels Four Star, then going to
Tramontina Profesional.  These all fall in the excellent catagory.  Again in
decending order rated very good were Cuisine de France Commercial Sabatier,
Chef's Choice Trizor Professional 10x Cutlery, Chicago Cutlery Legecy
Forged, Lamsonsharp Forged,  Henkels 5 Star, Chicago Cutlery Walnut
Tradition, Chicago Cutlery 440 A Fine.  After that you drop down into knives
they only rate as good.

We have three Henckels, different lines, got lucky and found them all via
resale.  Hope this helps.

Daniel Raoul