SC - Thanksgiving & Cooking gifts

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Thu Nov 25 07:06:19 PST 1999

Gunthar wrote:
>And to our
>bretheren overseas, do you wonder what the traditional American
>Thanksgiving meal is?

No, I think I have a fair idea of that, and have cooked most of the
traditional dishes at one time or another, with the exception of pumpkin
pie - pumpkin is seldom available here and very expensive when it is. But -
on a bulletin board I frequent someone was just asking for a recipe for
Watergate Salad to serve at Thanksgiving - please tell me this is not a part
of a traditional Thanksgiving meal. Any dish that can be served either as a
side dish to turkey or as a dessert has me completely baffled. (Actually,
several American friends have attempted to explain the whole concept of
American salads of this type to me, with little success. I´m still almost as
puzzled as I was when I first read about them, admittedly in The
Encyclopedia of Bad Taste.)

>What traditional meals do you eat? What
>were some "traditions" eaten in period?

Well, we don´t have Thanksgiving but at harvest festivals in the old days, a
thick milky porridge (barley or rice, sometimes cooked until the milk began
to caramelize) was frequently served, along with fresh boiled mutton and
mutton soup. And smoked boiled lamb, served hot or cold, has always been the
main feast food here in Iceland - still is; it is served at around 90% of
Icelandic homes either on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.

Nanna