SC - Thanksgiving & Cooking gifts

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Nov 25 13:43:09 PST 1999

I wrote:

><<  I'm pretty proud of
> the apple fig raisin so I will be posting the recipe later for anyone who
> wants it. >>

Was reply:

>I would love to have the recipe, Daniel.  Sounds scrumptious.
>
>Juliana/Iu'liana

Just took one out of the oven with a little Triskel on the crust.

Can't take any real credit for the reciepe as I used the filling for fruit
Rissoles on page 278 of "Early French Cooking" by Scully and Scully.  It's
their redaction from Menagier de Paris (The Goodman of Paris)

3-4 medium cooking apples (I used 5 smallish Granny Smiths I tried Red
delicious once and they didn't do as well)
8 figs ( I used 10 this time as they seemed a bit small as well)
1 cup rasins (black raisins, I intend to use golden raisins next time to see
if it makes a difference)
1 cup water
1/2 cup white wine ( used half and half water and wine, 1.5 cups of each)

Peel and clice apples, chop figs small (cut off stems and throw them away).
Simmer fruit in water/wine several minutes until fruit is soft but not
mushy.  Do not over cook. (Check the apples of doneness if they are done so
is the rest of the fruit.)

1/2 cup of sugar (I used some ginger flavored sugar I had left over from
making candied ginger)
1 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp grain of paradise (optional according to Scully but I use it if I
have it on hand)
1/3 cup pinenuts or chpped walnuts (I have made it with walnuts and without.
This time I left them out as one of the people eating has an extreme food
allergy to nuts.  In truth it does not seem to make a difference to me.)

Combine suga and spices.  Add fruit (Add with a slotted spoon as you do not
want the mixture to be to moist. )  If mixture is to dry, stir in white wine
by the teaspoonful tpo correct.  (I add in a bit of the drained mixture.)
Taste; adjust spices to taste.  (Go light on the cloves as it is very easy
to go over board.)

Stir in nuts.

I prebaked a deep dish 9 inch pie shell and added in the filling.  I put a
pastry shell on top, the other pie shell unbaked, and baked in a preheated
oven at 375 F for about 25 minutes.  Check the pie at 20 minutes to see if
the crust is done.  I wouldn't leave it in over 30 minutes.

This is one of Scully's suggested cooking variations.

Daniel Raoul