SC - Marmalade

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Nov 27 18:55:04 PST 1999

Lord Stefan,

I am greatly flattered by your request for
articles concerning my Elizabethean garden.
It so happens that I do have a massive and detailed research paper and
period plant compendium that I did to accompany an entry on the garden to
Meridies Kingdom A&S some years back.  The Complete Anachronist editor wants
me to edit and reformat it as a manuscript for publication.  It resides
somewhere in the bowels of my ancient Macintosh SE hard drive, which has
been in a closet now for about a year.  this thing is so old (OS6) that even
OS8 macs won't read disks of the files.  If I send it to you, it will have
to be hard copy I fear for I never copied the files from my old mac to my
PC.
Likewise, the garden is now only a memory as the State of Tennesee evicted
me from the property two years ago to settle an estate on which land the
garden occupied.
I do have VHS tapes of it in its most glorious
season, alas the last.  The land was sold and developed as a new
subdivision, wiping out the garden.  I salvaged a great deal of it, but a
1/3 acre formal, sunken garden is a lot
of material to move.  I will search my hard copy files and see if I can find
the paper.

I grew a fairly wide selection of period herbs and vegetables as well as
medicinal and dye plants.  I have already mentioned the medlar tree.
Hopefully, the redesigned and expanded (2 acres) garden will be rebuilt at
Glaedenfeld Centre within the next decade.
I want to be able to grow sufficient period herb, vegetables and such to
supply large on-site feasts eventually.  Thanks for the interest.

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"