SC -Britain loss is our gain, was Thanksgiving & Cooking gifts

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Nov 27 21:26:45 PST 1999

Quite by accident, I got to play with turnips recently. Having had no luck
finding 14th c, simple root vegetable dishes (16th c ones seem to abound), I
decided to see what I could come up with.

A Disshe of Rape

Take rape and washe hem and scrape hem and cut hem small, put hem in good water
to boyle until it is enow, throw out the water and put hem in a pot of good
broth and put in salt and pepir and boyle again and serve forth.

3 fist sized turnips
water to cover
1 can beef broth
black pepper, ground

Wash, peel, and julienne turnips (1/4 inch). Cover with water and boil for 15
minutes. Drain. Put turnips with beef broth back in the pot and simmer until
liquid is nearly gone. Salt and pepper to taste.

The first try was with chicken broth and about 3 tbs of red wine. The wine gave
the turnips a rather odd brownish color and made them rather sharp tasting. The
second try with beef broth and pepper was definitely much better tasting.

The 1/4 inch julienne breaks down to smaller pieces and the turnips are very
soft by the time this is done. They could be mashed if desired but I rather
liked the smallish pieces. I put in quite a bit of pepper and it was quite
lively.

My husband the carnivore ate the first version (chicken broth and wine) and went
for more. Hm. I could be on to something here.

Kerri
Cedrin Etainnighean, OL