SC - Re: SC Pepper sauce, OOP

Sun Nov 28 08:54:32 PST 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Is white pepper not period? I remember it being called for in the Savory
> Toasted cheese redactions because that was the reason we first bought
> some white pepper. Guess I should go take a look at the redaction and
> the original recipe.

It probably existed, but may not have been used in Europe until late in
period. I note that it is not mentioned by Taillevent as one of the
spices necessary for running a kitchen, for what that's worth.

Today white pepper is used extensively in Asian cooking, especially
southern Chinese dishes (and pretty aggressively, too -- that cuisine is
possibly the most subtle on earth but definitely not bland), and in
situations where the appearance of black pepper in a whitish food might
be deemed unattractive, like, say, in a Nouvelle Cuisine (for the new
people on this list, that's what HG Cariadoc calls any European dish
from after ~1550, C.E.) dish of Savoury Toasted Cheese...

I vaguely recall, offhand, seeing white pepper mentioned in one or two
Nouvelle Cui -- I mean late period recipes.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com