SC - Introduction

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Nov 28 10:04:11 PST 1999

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

Adamantius wrote:

>See Le Menagier de Paris, and I think also some of the 14th-century
>English sources, for early cotignac recipes using honey. The reason you
>probably don't think of marmalade being that early might be that the
>word marmalade doesn't seem to turn up in the usual French, English and
>Italian sources until late period. As far as I know, offhand, anyway.

I'd learned as a child that the word "Marmalade" originally came from "Marie
malade" (sick Mary) because Marmalade was regularly made for Mary Queen of
Scots by her nurse (or cook possibly?) to keep her healthy (she was always
sickly apparently).  I'm wondering if anyone knows if this tale is true or
not?

Elysant