SC - Turkey Day post-mortem

Richard Kappler II rkappler at home.com
Sun Nov 28 19:56:34 PST 1999

For all who asked:

Haedus in Alio (glazed Leg of Lamb (or kid) with Garlic and Rosemary
Pleyn Delit 102 (Platina 6)

Grease a kid or a quarter of one with lard and cleaned garlic cloves; put it
on a spit and turn it by the fire.  Baste it often with sprigs of bay or
rosemary and the sauce I shall now describe.  Take verjuice and the juice of
the meat, the yolks of two eggs well beaten, two cloves of garlic well
pounded, a pinch of saffron and a little pepper, and mix this and pour into
a dish.  With this (as I said) you baste what you are cooking.  When it is
done, put it in a dish and pour some of the sauce over it and sprinkle with
finely chopped parsley.

cooking notes:
Since the verjuice I ordered a coupla weeks ago is not yet in, and I had
much else going on, plus other recipes to redact, I just cooked the roast
exactly as Hieatt et al redacted in Pleyn Delit.  Basically what you do is
set the oven at 450, coat the roast with olive oil (lightly), rub with a
clove of garlic and put it in the oven.  Ten minutes later, reduce heat to
325.  With mortar and pestle, powder 1/2 tsp rosemary, 1/4 tsp black pepper
and a goodly pinch of saffron.  Once this is well powdered, add two garlic
cloves and make it into a paste, then add two well beaten egg yolks and
juice of 1/2 a lemon.  About 35 minutes after the lamb went into the oven,
take it out, add drippings to your sauce, mix well, paint the lamb with the
glaze, throw it back in the oven.  Repeat every 15 minutes, adding drippings
to sauce before basting/painting, until lamb reaches an internal temp of
150.  At this point, turn the oven off, but leave the roast in until ready
to serve.  When you take the roast out, add all the drippings to your sauce,
mix well, pour over roast, sprinkle with parsley, slice and serve.  YUMMY!

regards, Puck