SC - Grits

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 28 22:15:24 PST 1999

Richard Kappler II wrote:

> Interestingly enough, the small print said that the skins were
> covered with shellac or something else I can't remember but equally
> inedible.  Which led me to think 'hmmmmm....I guess one would not used the
> zest of a clementine.'  I take it she had a batch from a less than stellar
> importer?

Possibly, or perhaps I missed the small print. I did look for it,
though. Nobody seems to have suffered any ill effects, though. Maybe
carnauba wax was the stuff? That's, in theory, edible. I assume wax or
some other sealant is applied to keep the fruit from drying out in
shipping. However, since there appears to be no such coating on the ones
I bought, and since they seem to begin drying out within about 48 hours
of purchase, maybe I got off lucky this time.

> >--One measly apple pie the size of the state of Connecticut
> >--Several pumpkin pies, only the size of Rhode Island
>
> Yeah, smart^&*, but I bet the punkin pies were better :-)

Undoubtedly! I made the apple pie, and if I say so myself it was
terrific. But my mom made the punkin pies. And she's a real live little
old lady. Q.E.D.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy