SC - Thanksgiving & Cooking gifts

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Mon Nov 29 04:12:20 PST 1999

RANDALL DIAMOND wrote:

> On 28 Nov 1999 21:16:23 -0600, Stefan li Rous brought up the
> topic of grits:   Query:
>
> Interesting (slightly OOP) subject, but Stefan, can you tell me is grits
> singular or are grits plural?

I'd venture to suggest grits are a state of mind.

Grammatically, I'd say it's a plural expression that is rarely, if ever,
used in the singular. Use of "a/that grit" might not be as unbelievably
pretentious as saying, "This all-wool twill pant comes in two colors..."
(something I occasionally see in things like the L.L. Bean catalogue)
but it would be a close call.

Unless, of course, one is referring to John Wayne or sandpaper. For
practical purposes the ground hominy product is always plural.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com