SC - Advent

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Mon Nov 29 09:06:28 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/29/1999 2:12:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< A while back Iu'liana asked:
 > LrdRas at aol.com writes:
 > << I just asked when I ordered my goats. >>
 >
 > ROFL - Of course!  What was *I* thinking.  ::Adds goats, blood, verjuice,
and
 > cardoon under orange juice, Q-tips, and peanut butter on the grocery list::

 For other hard-to-find items, you might want to take a look at some of the
 sources given in this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
 food-sources-msg  (36K)  3/19/99    Modern sources for unusual medieval
meats
                                        and other foods.

Thank you, Lord Stefan.  I  am slowly but surely picking my way through your
wonderful web site resource and the equally wonderful Miscellany.

::Takes a deep breath before plunging in:: I must say, once again, that as a
group you are most intimidating, both in the depth and breadth of your
knowledge/experience and the personal relationships that are evident in the
posts.  I'm sure no one intends to be that way, as the warmth and humor of
your posts also show what truly nice people you all are.  Your warmth and
humor in replying to my forays onto the list have also been most welcoming
and appreciated.

Perhaps my original question to the list about cardoons, verjus, and blood
best illustrates my point.  The fact that Lord Ras seemed to find my question
on where to get blood for the recipe so odd, ("I just asked when I ordered my
goats") drove home to me the distance between my point of reference and that
of the more prolific posters on the list.

You have done this for so long you can at times forget there are those of us
out here who don't routinely visit the supermarket to order goats and
wouldn't know a cardoon from a cartoon if it fell on us.

I suppose what I am sashaying around is a suggestion for a FAQ file that
could be updated and mailed to the list members on a monthly basis.  Those of
you who have no need for the file could just delete it from your Inbox.
Perhaps it could be sent out immediately when someone joins the list. Novices
would know there was a place or places they could go with their questions.
Perhaps a list of good reference books could be included along with URL's for
some helpful online resources?  Perhaps an explanation of redaction and how
it is done?  Perhaps some of you specialize in a period or country and a
novice would know where to direct a question without the terror of asking the
whole list?

I always see folks say it is from "The Miscellany" but no one thinks to
include the URL (except its author) for someone who has never heard of the
site/documents. The same goes for reference books used where only a snippet
of the title is mentioned.

I have learned a great deal in the couple months that I have been here.  I
was just wishing and hoping the learning process could be simplified for
those starting out with me and after me.

Humbly donning her asbestos T-tunic before returning to her dark corner to
await the flames,

Juliana/Iu'liana