SC - Roasting meats

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Nov 29 20:14:34 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/29/99 10:25:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kerric at pobox.alaska.net writes:

<< Has anyone roasted meats using the boil first, roast second method? >>

I always do my whole hams this way. Just plopping a whole preserved ham, salt
and all into an oven before boiling is a very recent innovation which I
suspect came about through the use of canned hams.

First, I put it in water over night. Drain. Put it in a large kettle. Cover
with water (usually adding 9 peppercorns, a bay leaf, 1/2 tsp. caraway seed
and an onion with 3 whole cloves stuck in it). I boil it for about 45 minutes
to an hour (being careful to not let it get overdone and start to fall
apart). Drain. Discard boiling water or add a cabbage head, quartered to it
and cook until cabbage is tender.

Put ham in a roaster. Dump a quart or so of apple cider over it. Sprinkle
with a little brown sugar. Add a couple of whole carrots and a stalk of
celery if you wish. Roast until done basting occasionally.

I posted a more thorough description sometime ago. Perhaps someone has saved
it. This is what I always do with whole hams and they are decadently
delicious and tender. :-)

Ras