SC - Help for Novices

Richard Kappler rkappler at home.com
Mon Nov 29 23:50:45 PST 1999

Kerri Canepa wrote:

> Greetings lists,
>
> Has anyone roasted meats using the boil first, roast second method? If so, I'd
> like to know how long boiled and then how long roasted and at what temperature.

That would depend both on the type and size of the meat, and also on
whether you mean the Taillevent (for example) parboil/plumping before
roasting method, or, say, the boiling till essentially done and tender
method I've used for things like whole ducks and certain cuts of pork,
which are then browned in a medium-hot oven. My example of whole ducks
would call for placing them in boiling water to scald and plump them,
then reducing the heat and simmering for about 45 minutes or so. They
can then be drained and cooled (whole birds won't dry out as much as
cut-up ones in this case: normally you want to avoid allowing boiled
meats to cool in the open air as they tend to become dry), then browned
in a moderately hot oven, maybe 450 degrees, for 1/2 hour - 45 minutes
or so.

One of the good things about this method is that if you simmer the meat
until it is tender, and a lot of the connective tissue is broken down,
and then chill it, it will become firm again, and because it doesn't all
heat up at once, you don't have to worry about it all falling apart,
which can happen if the cooked meat is placed in the oven while hot. Of
course you do want to watch for overcooking...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com