SC - OT - Antopodean Holidays

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Tue Nov 30 15:54:54 PST 1999

Huette,

Well personally, as I grew up in the NSW outback where for 3 months every
temp is over 100oF (40oC) including nights - we had a cold buffet for
Christmas.  Mum would bake a ham and one or two poultry (usually duck and
goose or turkey) and a leg or shoulder of lamb a day or two before Xmas.
And we would make salads Xmas eve (pasta, rice, potato, greens etc.) as well
as canned asparagus, beetroot and fresh boiled eggs and cucumbers etc.

So on Xmas day all we did was bring everything out of the fridge, sit down
and eat.  It also meant that mum has two days off a year from cooking
(mother's day being the other one).

Actually I think we usually ate leftovers (with fresh salads) for a few days
afterwards.

My husband's father is English so we usually now spend Xmas in a sinking hot
house (with air-conditioning) eating stinking hot English stodge.

Mel - who wonders if her favorite restaurant might be open this Xmas day?