SC - winter thoughts

Aelfwyn@aol.com Aelfwyn at aol.com
Tue Nov 30 19:07:29 PST 1999

Fellow Australians, how remiss of you not to tell all these people about our
wonderful feast days. What of the delights of Lamington Wednesday, held each
year on St Edna's Day? Or the annual Vanilla Slice Day, recently moved from
October to August, confusing the hell out of the culinary calender? Or the
mad celebrations held each year to mark the opening of Cane Toad Season?

Christmas is tame by comparison ... traditionally, in my family, it's a
multi-Esky deal, with aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents rocking up
(one Esky for alcohol, one Esky for food arriving with each family group,
then serving quite handily as seats when unexpected guests drop in, which
happens even when you live one and a half hours from town ... on a dirt road
...) for a two-day Christmas/Boxing Day eatathon, featuring cold ham (off
the bone, and, for many years, from our own pigs), cold roast chicken, cold
roast turkey and cold roast pork with apple sauce, cabbage salad, the
occasional carrot salad, rice salad (don't ask!), always, always, always
tinned asparagus (didn't know you could actually buy it fresh until about 8
years ago!) and beetroot, etc etc, followed by trifle, pavlova, lattice
slice, Christmas pudding (with sixpences), hot custard and icecream. Of
course before, and after, there were rum balls, apricot balls, white
christmas, cashews, peanuts and lots of beer .... God, I fell sick thinking
about it!

However, I now live a long way from home, and most of the cousins are now
doing their own family Christmas, so it's a much smaller affair. The only
things to survive is the Christmas pudding. Last year we had fresh prawns
and chicken salad on a blanket in the park, with rather a good bubbly...

Kylie