SC - we can cook

Ian Gourdon agincort at raex.com
Mon Nov 1 03:26:04 PST 1999

> I'm confused by this part  -- Period cooking experience would be???
> cooking over an open fire with a caldreon?  Using a big wood fire brick
> oven?   Experience cooking is experience cooking.  Just like your everyday
> job, there are transferable skills.  So,  I have never made  (put your
> favorite ethnic recipe here) but I know how to chop, slice, simmer, and cook
> liquid to coat a spoon.

That's pretty much it... Their recipes, done with your experience. I
imagine that's the way experiencing someone else's cookbook would have
been for them, too.
Quote: in A Handbook of Anglo-Saxon Food Processing and Consumption. By
Ann Hagen
Anglo-Saxon Books, Middlesex, England 1992  Page 60:
"Anglo-Saxon cooking seems to have been based on boiling... 'We can stew
for ourselves anything that needs stewing, and roast those things that
need to be roasted'. (We ne reccap ne he us neodpearf ys, forpan we
sylfe magan seowan pa pingc pe to seopenne synd, 7 braedan pa pingc pe
to braedene synd)."
A pre Norman statement in rebuttal of a cooking suggestion?
Or a quiet statment of fact...
- --
Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe, OP
- - Companion of the order of the Greenwood Company
http://web.raex.com/~agincort