SC - OT,OOP, But Funny

Bernadette Crumb kerelsen at ptd.net
Tue Nov 2 14:40:20 PST 1999

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Christine A Seelye-King wrote:
> >
> > On this day...
> > St. Chef (575)
> >
> > What on this day?  I just gotta know.
>
> Hmmm. My little Penguin Encyclopedia of Saints has nothing listed for
> November 2nd. I assumed it was because today is the feast of All Souls,
> i.e. uncanonized saints and other revered souls, your Uncle Harry, etc.,
>  and it wouldn't do to steal the thunder of the "little guys" on their
> one day of veneration. I mean, how many saints' feast days are December
> 25th, f'rinstance? Kind of a reserved date, I assumed.
>
> Mandatory food content: today is All Souls Day, but for Latin Americans,
> it's also La Dia de la Muerta (my Spanish is worse than my French!), and
> a lot of the bakeries in my neighborhood are selling an astonishing
> variety of extremely morbid skull-shaped pastries, cakes, and sugar
> confections. Kewl, huh? Same holiday, different observances...
>
> Adamantius
> --
> Phil & Susan Troy

Hi!  Having just received an exhaustive explanation of El Dia
(should be an accent mark on the "i") de Los Muertos from my
college Spanish teacher, I'm already thinking about what sort of
food "calavaras" to make for next year to distribute to the
class!

Essentially, it's a two day observance.  The families visit the
gravesites of family members and tend them, then strew marigold
petals from the sites to their front door for the spirits to
follow.  The first day, a table is set up with lots of food that
children love to eat and is meant as an offering to the spirits
of the children of the family who have died.  Since the spirits
who have been invited back into the home can't eat "real" food,
after a suitable interval, the living children of the families
fall to and eat the offering goodies.  On the second day of the
festival, the offering table is set with food that is liked by
the adults and the adult spirits are invited to partake.  Like
the children, after a suitable interval, the grown-ups feast on
the offering food and overall it's a real party.

Obviously, the latinoamericano culture perceives death far
differently than most norteamericanos. My professor indicated
that the festival is a Christianization of the monthlong festival
celebrated by the Aztecs at this time of year to honor their
dead.

I wonder what might have been on the Aztec tables?  Hey, it's in
period! :)

Bernadette