SC - "Fooles and Friccasees" exhibit at the Folger

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Wed Nov 3 16:32:15 PST 1999

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

Ras said:
>Elysant and I also made it a point to drop by this exhibit on Monday. I
>concur. It was a wonderful presentation.
>There were at least a half dozen cookery manuals and a couple of
agricultural
>manuals that I have never seen referenced in anything I have studied. The
>orange custard recipe on one page in one of the books sounded like heaven.
:-)

There were some other pieces to mention too like a diagram of the seating and
positioning of dishes on the serving tables at a coronation feast, hand
written lists and recipes as well as texts, and illustrations with various
items and tools being used in the kitchen...

<< The best pieces I saw was a pair of pamphlets regarding coffee...>>

>Weren't they fun? Elysant and I were so ingrossed in reading them that we
>became a little loud much to the amusement of the patrons who happened by

It was very interesting... :-)

>All in all this exhibit is a must for anyone interested in historical
>cookery.

It really is.  I was impressed.   From what Ms Schiffen was saying though,
this is not a travelling exibit, and it is only on display at the Folgers for
a certain time period.  I don't know when the last date of the exibit is, but
if Washington DC is within a reasonable distance for folks on the list I'd
recommend visiting the Folgers (soon) as a worthwhile venture. :-)

Elysant