SC - eel (some German references)

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Wed Nov 3 19:37:47 PST 1999

I cannot come up with a particular favorite eel recipe, but here are
some references for 16th century German eel recipes, including some pie
recipes.

- -- Sabina Welser Nr. 118 (look at Valoise Armstrong's translation, that
is online)

- -- Nuernberger Kochbuch 1609, Nr. 9 (ähel Bratten)

- -- Frantz de Rontzier 1598:
p. 183: living eels in a roasted pig
p. 376-78: (15 eel recipes, mainly in some kind of broth)
p. 437-39: (10 recipes with roasted eel)
p. 470-71: "Posteten von Ahlen" 'pies from eel' (6 recipes)
p. 538 (a living eel is served forth between some dishes)

There are more, but I am aware that the question was not for references
but for recipes that are "probatum".

(One of Portugal's favorite dishes (today or for tourists) is lamprey.
Alas, it was Henry _I._, who is said to have died by eating to much of
them ... There would be a wealth of lamprey recipes. Something for
spring.)

Cheers,
Thomas