SC - garbage

Richard Kappler II rkappler at home.com
Thu Nov 4 18:40:20 PST 1999

Ye olde, and yes I mean OLDE, Master Chief decided last week that it would
be a good thing for office harmony to start doing potlucks every week or
two.  Tomorrow is the first.  With all the hell I catch in the office about
researching period recipes, trying to translate Latin, medieval German and
early English etc, I figured I just had to cook something period, thinking
along the lines of 'pick the nastiest sounding stuff, don't tell 'em what it
is, then when they love it, clue 'em in.'  In the spirit of this endeavor, I
chose 'Garbage' out of His Grace's Miscellany.  Its been up on the sign up
board for a week now and speculation has been rampant, but none of them
realize there really is a dish called garbage.

So anyway....I prepared the dish tonight and was even surprised myself!  I
followed the recipe in the Miscellany exactly, with two exceptions:  while
the recipe in the Miscellany disregards the chicken heads and feet due to
difficulty in obtaining such, I threw in a coupla chicken necks I had in the
freezer waiting for the next batch of stock.  THIS STUFF IS GREAT!  The
sweet spices both contrast and meld so well with the rich flavor of the
chicken parts, and the broth the whole recipe produces is some of the best
I've ever had.

The other exception: in the original recipe it calls for drawing the bread
and broth mixture through a sieve, whereas the redaction calls for mashing
up broth soaked bread in a mortar and pestle.  I tried it as written in the
redaction at first, but didn't like the consistency.  I'm presuming that the
purpose of this is to thicken the broth, yes?  So I followed the original,
taking the bread soaked broth and pushing it through a fine wire strainer
and thought the consistency much better.

I highly recommend this recipe to all, whether you like the ingredients or
not, the end result is delightful and not at all what I thought I would end
up with.  The complexity of flavor in this dish is simply amazing!

regards, Puck