SC - Help - How to Candy Almonds

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Sat Nov 6 11:59:04 PST 1999

> Anyway, would someone be so kind as to give me a basic recipe for candying
> nuts that stands up to variations?
>
> (What I really need is to know how long/to what temperature to cook the
> honey or sugar flavored with whatever in order to get hard candied almonds
> instead of sticky gooey messes.)

My recipe is below, and IIRC, the sugar syrup must come to a full rolling
boil and boil for a couple of minutes.  This will give you that nice hard
finish.

 Joy of Cooking say to boil the syrup until clear and falls in heavy drops
from a spoon.

Good Luck!

Raoghnailt
Stan Wyrm, Artemisia
rygbee at montana.com
Veritas praevalebit

Spiced Nuts

½ C. dark brown sugar   ½ ts. salt
1 ts. gr. cinnamon   ½ ts. gr. allspice (I substitute cubebs)
¼ ts. gr. nutmeg   ¼ ts. gr. cloves
1½ Tbl. water    1½ C. unsalted nuts (walnuts, pecans, cashews, whole
almonds)

 Combine all ingredients except the nuts in a large saucepan, and boil  for
a few minutes.  Stir in the nuts.  Spread them out in a single layer on
waxed paper to dry (they will lose their shiny appearance as the sugared
coating sets).
NOTES: Do not try to make more than one batch at a time as the sugar may not
get hot enough.  You can do this in a microwave in an 8-cup glass measuring
cup or 2-qt. glass bowl.