SC - legumes (was: survival/ camp cooking)

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Wed Nov 10 08:08:58 PST 1999

hey all from Anne-Marie
Ras sez:
>> Split peas would be a good thing for a 'survival' kit but they are not
>> 'period.' The process used for producing split peas was introduced in the
>> late 19th century CE.

yes, but my experiements show that the final result is indistinguishable
whichever you start with. In fact, the recipes that specify to start with
dry peas in the later corpus I was looking at specify that you are to boil
them until the hulls remove and then skim off the skins. Wheterh we started
with regular modern split peas or the medieval whole dried peas, both
yielded a pea green glop.

interestingly, the whole dried peas are "white"...perhaps the source of the
"white peas" vs green peas distiniction in the earlier sources? (ie dried
vs fresh). dunno, but its intereseting to think about! :)

Brighid asks:

>Dried whole peas are late period, however.  Don't know how readily
>available they are.  I think I've seen them in Indian grocery stores.
>(Maybe health food stores, too?)

my regular grocery store carries them in the ethnic bulk food section (OK,
its regular for me, but Ballard Market is anything but ordinary :))

- --AM