SC - Re: survival/ camp cooking

Richard Kappler II rkappler at home.com
Wed Nov 10 12:41:24 PST 1999

I wholeheartedly agree with everything Phlip said until she got to:

>Then rinse your jugs with fresh
>water and fill and stash.

Making sure you have clean jugs will not ensure you a good supply of potable
water.  You must boil the water (preferably under pressure, to exceed 212
degrees F)  Then you must treat it.  Shipboard we use Calcium Hypochlorate.
Go to the pool store and buy some HTH or shock.  How long you plan to keep
the water will determine how to treat.  If you were planning on using the
water within a week or two, then mildly....if you can taste it you've
overdone it.  The technical spec is .2 ppm halogen residual.  But this stuff
decays over time, whether exposed to light or not.  So if you are looking at
long term storage, treat higher or plan on testing and treating your water
supply before use, and treat as before.

Simply bottling what comes out of the tap will not protect you from viral or
bacterial contamination, nor algae growth.  Hence the answer to the question
I'm sure many of you have asked: 'Why the heck do they put an expiration
date on bottled water?'

regards, Puck