SC - Recipe 8-Weekend of Wisdom

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Nov 14 18:28:14 PST 1999

This recipe was problematical from the beginning.  I was unsure whether the
almonds that were soaked in the water were to be used for the almond milk or
not but considering the further instructions regarding frying them, I chose
to interpret this as another part of the recipe. My decision was based on the
fact in my experience toasted almonds simply do not make acceptable almond
milk.

Elysant made the pastry for this recipe with things at hand and it was very
flaky and tasty. The pies were served near the end of the feast so a lot was
returned to the kitchen. This was not a problem because a line of people
showed up asking if they could take the pies home with them so that in the
end none were left.

I was very disappointed in this recipe because the goat meat came from 2
different animals. Animals that apparently were not the same age. The
finished product contained both very tender pieces of meat and less tender
ones. Over all the flavor was wonderful and I would recommend this dish if
you can get meat from a single animal or at least ones that are close to the
same age.

GOAT
(Editor's Note: Goat in Winter)
(redacted from a recipe in Traite de Cuisine [c. 1300 CE] from A. Collection
of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks, Vol. II, ed. Duke Sir Cariadoc of the
Bow. Translation by Janet Hinson)
Redaction copyright 1999 L. J. Spencer, Jr.

Original recipe:
Loin of goat should be roasted or served in pastry, lightly larded, with hot
pepper or garlic sauce. In winter, prepare with garlic and cinnamon and
ginger, moistened with milk of almonds, the almonds moistened with warm
water, and fried in lard or baconfat, and the sauce inside.

2 lb. Goat, cubed
1 Pie shells and tops
4 cloves Garlic
1/2 tsp. True cinnamon, ground
1/4 tsp. Ginger, ground
1 cp. Almond milk
1 handful   Whole almonds, soaked in warm water, drained
2 T Lard
Salt to taste

Mash garlic.  Mix garlic, cinnamon, ginger and almond milk together.  Salt to
taste.
Parboil goat cubes for 15 minutes.  Drain.

Drain soaked almonds. Melt lard in a pan and fry almonds until golden brown.

Put parboiled goat cubes into shell.  Pour one cup almond milk mixture over
top of each pie.  Sprinkle with almonds.  Put on cover crust, sealing edges
well.  Make a small vent hole in the top of each crust.  Using the trimmed
edges of the dough, make fanciful shapes and decorate the top of the pie with
the shapes, sealing with water.  Bake at 350 deg F until crust is a golden
brown.

Ras