SC - Chocolate and Period

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Nov 15 06:53:09 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/15/99 7:21:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
agora at algonet.se writes:

<< I mean, corn, tomatoes, chocolate, were not
 "period" for Europe, but were nowadays period for South America. I think
 all discussion about food uses and borders and transgressions should be
 analyzed from several points of view, not only a eurocentric way. >>

Although I agree with you in principle, the SCA generally does not encourage
personas which live in the 'colonies'. You will see some wonderful personas
and research into areas like Japan and an occasional foray into Aztec culture
(e.g., there is an Aztec knight) but these are rare.

Middle eastern personas are also tolerated, if not encouraged. Many middle
eastern personas go so far as to rationalize their existence by concentrating
on Andalusia or even the Kingdom of Israel. Many do not. The stance of the
organization in general has been one of tolerance for any persona that is
from a 'western culture' or the peoples they came in contact with. Thus
middle eastern and Japanese are most often seen. Mongol, Russian, and eastern
European personas are also occasionally pursued.

The inclusion of colonial, colonial, Inca and Aztec personas would open a
wide and rich area of research and recreational art. A few years ago I
entered a beautiful recreation of a piece of Aztec needle art in a
competition but none of the judges took any time to read the documentation
and the only comment written down was that they had failed to see the
significance of this piece in such a competition. Apparently they were not
aware that such things were frequently sent to Spain which I had clearly
indicated in the accompanying text.

Since Spanish land in North and South America was clearly thought of as part
of Spain at the time, the question revolves around whether 'western culture'
should be interpreted as geographical or political entities. There are solid
arguments on both sides and the issue remains unresolved today.

As a past A&S minister, I always encouraged folks to do whatever they wanted
to do in the SCA. As one of the players, I would like nothing more than to
see development of more Native American, Inca and Aztec personas, as well as
any other nationality that had regular sustained contact with Europe, not
only tolerated but actively encouraged where those peoples had daily
interaction with colonials.  It is often said that such personas living in
Paris, for example, would have adopted Parisian dress and manners. Possibly
but, OTOH, there is clear evidence that such adaptation was slow in the
colonies or trade settlements where Europeans as oftentimes as not adopted
local custom. Others may have an entirely different, and no less valid,
viewpoint.

My .02.

Ras