SC - Good Broth

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Mon Nov 15 11:47:49 PST 1999

Ras wrote:
>Since we initiated the bidding process for events in the shire many years
>ago, almost all of those types of problems have ceased to exist. ...

Next door to you in Nithgaard, we've had an alleged bidding process for many
years, and it doesn't seem to have led to better event planning. It seems
unlikely to me that any procedural changes would bring better results. On
the whole, I doubt that any particular decision-making process can
compensate for unenlightened beliefs and attitudes. If Abhainn Ciach Ghlais
has benefitted from a bidding process, it is because conditions were
otherwise right for such a process to work. Good decisions can be made using
several kinds of processes, but only by those who have good ideas to begin with.

So I would not recommend that anyone try to reform their group's procedures
in the expectation that better decisions will result. It just might work,
but don't count on it. Educating people behind the scenes is more likely to
lead to changes in how a group runs its events.

Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark