SC - Millet recipe

Lilinah biti-Anat lilinah at grin.net
Mon Nov 15 15:13:04 PST 1999

Ras wrote:
>In a message dated 11/15/99 12:23:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>stefan at texas.net writes:
> > Would this be a sausage of some type or something else.
>
>Considering the source, style of cookery and most importantly similarities in
>the final dish, I would be inclined to go with sausages rather than chitlins.

I immediately thought of "kishke" (not sure of the spelling), an
Eastern European Jewish food (as far as i know). It is intestine
stuffed with a cooked and mashed filling of seasoned grain of some
sort. I apologize for my vagueness, as i only ate it at my
grandmother's house long ago as a small child and never got the
recipe, nor do I have documentation for its existence outside of my
grandmother's house :-(

I only bring it up here, knowing that i have no indication that it is
"period", to indicate that there are other possible fillings to a
stuffed intestine beside ground meat.

Perhaps someone on this list with more Jewish culinary knowledge can
give more information about "kishke".

Anahita
who ate some chitterlings once at a Black Panthers fundraising
concert in the late '60's. Not my kind of texture.