SC - oyster pie - Where to buy Verjus

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Nov 15 19:26:36 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/15/99 9:56:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rose at santiagosmagic.com writes:

<< I seem to recall
 their white verjus is made from the chardonnay grapes >>

Chardonnay grapes date from at least late period. Whether the current strain
is period or not I don't know. Most of the varieties we use today are period.
Trebbiano, pinot noir, Cabernet sauvignon, sauvignon blanc, pinot gris and
merlot immediately come to mind.

Zinfandel grapes are not period and make be the only variety of European
grapes that are native to America although since they were originally found
growing in California, I would suspect that they are an introduction by the
Spaniards.

The fact that California vineyards started producing varietal wines and
convinced the American public that they are better than blended wines (which
they are not, IMO) has no bearing on the age of the varieties they use. We
simply are now hearing the varietal names bounced around and assume that they
are 'new' when in fact those varieties have been used for centuries.

I think I posted a list of period grape varieties a while back. Perhaps
Stefan has put it in his archive.

Ras