SC - French toast?

Chip jallen at multipro.com
Tue Nov 16 09:21:02 PST 1999

Puck sprach:
> Henisch speaks of the gluttony on Shrove Tuesday to get rid of all the
> perishables before lent begins.  One of her passages involves a recipe that
> sounds much to me like French Toast:

> Pain Perdu:
> (redacted/paraphrased): soak slices of bread in wine and rosewater.  Dredge
> in beaten eggs and sugar.  Fry, sprinkle with sugar.

I've always thought of pain perdu as "French" French Toast.  We never
did use wine or rosewater, but it's close to what most Americans think
of as "French Toast" (what they see on the Shoney's Breakfast Bar).

IIRC, 'pain perdu' literally means 'lost bread'.  (A quick
babelfish-ing confirms it).  That's always bothered me.  Why lost?  Is
it because you have to hastily use it up before Lent so it doesn't go
bad as Puck's new book suggests?  Sounds reasonable, but most anything
dredged in eggs, fried and sprinkled with sugar is welcome on my plate
and anything but "lost".  Lost down my gullet, maybe.
Iyad ibn Bisharo, Shire of Easaraigh, Kingdom of Meridies
Chip Allen, Cookeville, TN
jallen at multipro.com