SC - A Dilemma on what to cook for Dinner-HELP!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 17 20:15:10 PST 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Platina may not have mentioned corn if he were aware of it because of the
> novelty and the fact that it would have been little used so unless it had
> real medicinal value in Platina's mind why would he include it in his book?
> OTOH, Da Vinci would have been intrigued by the newness of it.

I think this could be seen as a bit presumptuous -- I'm not comofortable
reading the thoughts of a long-dead genius, myself. You may be right,
though. Or, it may simply be that Platina, being pretty meticulous
himself, mentioned it as being made from barley because that was the
most common grain to use in his part of the world at that time, and it
may also be that Da Vinci never mentioned the grain because it might not
have mattered to him at all, or that maize simply wasn't something it
ever occurred to him to eat. Many people cook without fully
understanding all of what they eat; they might simply say "mush is mush,
who cares what grain?"

> I would
> therefore find that the fact that Leonardo didn't mention it to be far more
> important than the fact that Platina did not mention it. This is not
> 'dissing' anyone.' It is an observation that I think has some validity.

It might. I think some of the logic is a bit strained, to be honest, but
ultimately there's no real way to tell, I suspect. As for the question
of dissing, I seem to recall you described the two as being worlds apart
intellectually (or was that someone else?), thereby implying an
unfavorable comparison, which comparison would seem to have ignored
Platina's genuine accomplishments, even if they had less impact than
Leonardo's. As I said earlier, it sounded like someone calling
Oppenheimer an idiot for not being Einstein, or, for that matter,
Einstein an idiot for not being Hawking. Essentially just a bit unfair.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com