SC - Embarrassing Question...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Nov 21 19:29:49 PST 1999

Asamantius asked:
> In connection with the high-volume food-production orgy many Americans
> will be engaging in the week to come, I was wondering if anyone has used
> those devices that supposedly peel and core (and maybe slice; I forget)
> an apple. It's a crank-operated thing you clamp to a tabletop, I think,
> and you impale the apple along the core on a spike of some sort, after
> which you turn the crank and the peel is removed along principles
> similar to a carpenter's lathe.
>
> Now I'm pretty quick with a knife, but I'm being offered this gizmo
> essentially as a gift. Is it worth the money of the donor and does it
> actually save time and labor?

I saw a news program segment within the last few weeks that tested a
number of the items sold in the "info-mercials". Some items got
surprisingly good ratings. This apple peeler gadget was not one of
them. You are experienced with a knife. The guy they had racing the
gadget didn't appear to be that experienced but he outran the gadget.
The gadget didn't seem to peel anywhere near as consistantly as it
did in the info-mercials. It often left gaps of peels or cut off big
chunks of apple.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net