SC - Goodbye for now

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Mon Nov 22 07:34:04 PST 1999

Hello the list,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Cook's Symposium went very well.
The turnout was low, but it allowed everyone hands on in making the various
dishes that were taught. We prepped a batch of orange blossom honey mead,
made our own pastry and baked pies, modernly canned two period recipes 1 from
Menagier, a very simplified version of the for every 500 nuts recipe, the
second was Wardens in Conserve. We also brought out the Lord's Salt trial I
started 5 days prior and it was fine by everyone's opinion. I have yet to
perform an actual bacteria count on it. We raffled off Ilaria Giacosa's book
and had a great feast that included sala cattabia (Apicius) made in a fish
mold with the first layer of cucumbers set as scales and the capers
decorating for eyes. I incorporated the lists suggestions that using cream
cheese may have not be the cheese of choice, so I went with Ricotta. I think
I'll let it drain next time. We also enjoyed a jar of the preserves we made,
a beef and sweet potato stew, fresh breads, egg and cheese pies, cabbage
rolls , rose cream and a wonderful baclava. I know there was more but I can't
remember at the moment.

My sweet husband has been covering for me in all the time needed for the
preparation of this day, and with 3 young children, we agreed I'd take a
break after. That is until I start cooking for Clancy Day, in March. I will
be returning to work full time on Monday next and it is a very stressful job
(tax law and how it effects the average person), so I've decided to
unsubscribe for a month or so, in order to take the pressure off of keeping
up. I want to say that I have learned a great deal in this short time, and am
thankfull for all of the comments and suggestions from the list members. Even
the suggestions  I didn't like so much. I guess some of those I learned from
the most . :)

I look forward to returning soon. I wish everyone a healthy and fulfilling
(both spiritually and physically) Thanksgiving.

Sincerely,
Hauviette d'Anjou