SC - two paintings showing waffles

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 23 19:24:37 PST 1999

Someone, a few days ago, asked about what paintings
had pictures of waffles and pancakes in them.  I have
not
had the time to do much research on this yet, but I
found two period paintings that have waffles depicted
in them, that had been webbed.  The site talks about
costumes, but still is valuable for their kitchen
views.

The URL is:

http://www.lepg.org/gallery.htm

or, more specifically:

http://www.lepg.org/veggirl.jpg

This painting by Pieter Aertsen, from 1567, is called
"Market woman with vegetable stall."  To the viewers
left are three waffles laying around.

also:

http://www.lepg.org/waffles.jpg

This painting by Joachim de Beuckalaer was painted
sometime during 1550-1560. It is called, most
appropriately, "Making waffles."  To the viewers lower
right, you will see several waffles laying on a table.
However, more importantly, you will see, in the center
of the painting, a young woman holding a waffle iron
in one hand and just about to ladle some batter from a
tureen with a wooden spoon in her other hand.

I know there are several more paintings, which I will
find and post as I find them.

Huette