SC - Re: 3 T'day rec's from Phillipa Seton

Jessica Tiffin jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Thu Nov 25 10:00:30 PST 1999

Phillipa Seton gave us:
> *********Winter Squash or Pumpkin Soup**********
> The Medieval Kitchen  ( Redon, Sabban, Serventi)
> SQUASH.    For squash, Peel them and cut them into slices.  Remove the seeds
> if there are any and cook them in water in a pan.  Then drain them and rinse
> them in cold water.  Squeeze them and chop them finely.  Mix with some beef
> and other meat broth and add cow's milk and mix half a dozen egg yolks. Put
> through a seive into the broth and milk.  On fast days use the cooking water
> from dried peas or almond milk and butter.

I'm not familiar with "The Medieval Kitchen" (it's on my wishlist):
what is the primary source here, pretty please...?

South Africans don't do Thanksgiving, it's sheer coincidence that our
November gathering is this weekend...  We're converting the good 'ol
South African tradition of braai (i.e. barbecue, grill over coals)
to medieval dishes, and are trying out some of the grilling ones.
_This_ time I will persuade the damned egg glaze to stay on the
mushrooms!  (Mousserons florys, unless my memory fails me utterly.
Cooked with pork fat and a glaze of egg yolks.  I inevitably end up
with nicely cooked unglazed mushrooms, and scrambled eggs.)

Jehanne

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin  *  Seneschal, Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town
(Jessica Tiffin, University of Cape Town)
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.
http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant/stidings.htm