SC - Turkey Day post-mortem

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Fri Nov 26 22:31:54 PST 1999

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> Potatoes and cranberries- yummy. Armoured turnips- yummy. Jello salad-
> ditto. Spinach tarts were good, but a new addition and therefore Foreign
> and Suspect. Rotrude remarked that they'd be great for lunch. I froze
> the extras, thinking that she's right and they'd certainly cheaper than

Odd, the tarts were one of my favourite items. But then, I am Odd,
Foreign, and Suspect anyway. :) OTOH, I've never been a fan of the
fruit-in-Jello salads, but now my memory has been jarred to recall the
cottage cheese and jello salads my mother made for Budgie Day.

On the topic of pies, mine also include dark brown sugar and dark
molasses, resembling chocolate custard pie more than pumpkin, and lots
of allspice, cardamom, ginger, and nutmeg. I also prefer cooking them
down from fresh pumpkin rather than canned puree. Best compliment I ever
got on it was from a Russian who detested squashes, but said she didn't
mind eating mine.

> I have decided that having another adult around who is more than
> competent in the the kitchen himself is a WONDERFUL thing. We kept
> washing up as we went along and today the kitchen has stuff to do, but
> it is by no means the usual disaster. Besides, getting kisses while
> cooking is very motivational!

Why, thank you. Thank you, and thank you. You should have know this when
I showed up with a selection of knives and a whetstone. Don't forget
Rotrude, who aside from volunteering to assemble the crudite platter,
was directing the other two in setting up the table (with more or less
success....), and received the in-process lesson in making gravy.

Up until this year, my favourite Thanksgiving was up in Canada, as I
happened to be visiting a friend during that holiday and was invited to
join them. Of course, most of the day was spent in the kitchen (the
whole family), and I got to salvage the lumpy gravy and provide tasty
Oregon wines for the table. Free-range turkey, yummy.....

This holiday also saw the emergence of Triumph, the Insult Herald (only
makes sense if you're a Conanite..). "Oh, such a very nice
submission......"

sated and unsated, depending on which appetites one in referring to...

Seumas