SC - Turkey Day post-mortem

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Sat Nov 27 15:06:38 PST 1999

Greetings good gentles. On that wonderful Turkey Day, Maison deSteele (my
household) put together a feast of such size!! I've seen smaller feasts at
SCA events. It was put together as a "potluck" type meal. Christopher
Thomas and myself did a 22 lb turkey, and for variety we also did a pork
roast, a repeat of the recipe that had been done at the Calafian
Anniversary Tourney Feast 2 weeks before (stuffed with chopped bread, dried
fruits, poudre forte, etc. etc.).  We had TWO 10 lb pots of potatos show
up, one was whipped with sour cream and chives, the other was a perfectly
presented twice baked potato. Then we had the small (5 lb) pot of whipped
yams (sweetened with raw sugar and poudre forte). Green beans with wine and
butter were slide in, as was a pot of peas, just so there was something
green to be had.  Oh yes, of COURSE, the fresh cooked cranberry sauce (the
UNsolidified sort).  Giblet gravy was bubbled half the day too.
As if that wasn't enough, there was The Desserts.  Shoofly pie, 2 pumpkin
pies, the greengage pie (also from the Calafian Anniversary Feast), and a
GIANT flan prepared by Eilidh (seneschal of Calafia, and by the way, her
flan is one of those mouth orgasm type things).
I'm glad I waited a day or two to think about this. I STILL feel full. The
especially wonderful part was after cooking and kibbitzing in Christopher
Thomas' kitchen all day, someone who was freshly arrived right before
dinner packaged up ALLLLLLL the leftover food into nice portions for us.
Someone else stepped in and did just about all the dishes (until people are
literally kicked out you can never get _ALL_ the dishes done).
It was wonderful, it was warm, it was fuzzy. And, with all the extra adult
type cooks there, it wasn't a terribly onerous task to get everyone served
and then take care of the wreckage afterwards.

Yours in Service,
Maggie MacDonald.