SC - Eel & Fish Balls

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Nov 3 15:34:03 PST 1999

> The menu so far reflects both Miguel's personna as well as his
eating  habits. He does not eat mammal, just fowl or fish. We are looking
at Icelandic chickens, whitefish au gratin, fish balls in parsley sauce,
mushroom pasties, gravlax, berry pudding w/whole cream, assorted veggie
dishes.

> Does anyone have info about Portugese recipes?
> Thanks,
> Gunthar

I tried Icelandic chicken the other night, and it was wonderful.  I did
do some variations, based on what was on-hand.  I had bought some whole
wheat filo dough for Garlicky Chicken that I made at our Company of the
Cockentrice meeting last weekend, (are we ever going to have that typed
up so we can show the Cook's List what we made?) and so I used that for
the outer dough.  I boned and skinned the chickens, and made individual
packets of each of the breasts and thigh/leg portions.  I also used
dried, crumbled sage instead of fresh leaves, 'cause that was what I had.
 It came out wonderfully, if too high in fat for us to eat it at home
very often.  I can see doing it in just slightly smaller portions for
feast service.  While the wrapping takes some time, it isn't too bad for
a good crew.
I also bought salmon and fresh dill yesterday to make some gravlax with,
so your menu is starting to sound familiar! :)
	How different will your sauces be on your whitefish au gratin (sprinkled
with cheese, or a cheese sauce?) and your fish balls in parsley sauce?  I
usually think of spinach with a whitefish and sauce dish, in case you
were looking for ideas as to what kind of assorted veggies should be in
your dishes.
It also looks a bit fishy, 4 seafood dishes (eel, whitefish, fishballs,
gravlax) to one fowl dish.  Does the gentleman prefer fish to fowl that
much?
	Yum, I'm hungry now, when is dinner?
	Christianna