SC - Marwick Arts Exhibition

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sat Nov 6 17:58:53 PST 1999

We just got back from the event, which was a non-competitive just-
come-and-show-off-your-stuff kinda thing.  Everyone seemed to have a
great time.  Basically it was one big arts display.  Everyone claimed a
table and put out their stuff.  There was no competition, no judging, no
pressure.  There was a lot of circulating and admiring and discussing.
One thing that I liked was people didn't just murmur "ooh, pretty" and
move on.  They stopped and looked carefully, and asked questions
about sources and techniques.  It was nice to be at an event where the
arts have a central role, but without the tension of a competition. This
was also one of the few events I have attended where the hall did not
have to be told to be quiet for performers.

There were many, many wonderful things to admire.  In addition to the
expected garb and needlework, calligraphy, jewellry, woodwork, etc.,
several folks had brought food "displays" (tasting encouraged).  One
lady had a selection of varieties of period apples, as well as several
dishes made with apples.  I had to avoid the sweeter items, but she had
a crockpot full of tuffahiya (sp?), an Islamic meat and apple stew, that
was delicious.  Another lady at table near me had all kinds of herbal
vinegars, herb and spice breads, an interesting green honey mustard,
and pickled mushrooms (Lucky me -- I got to take home some of the
leftover mushrooms).  My baroness, Merlynia, had an assortment of
Roman foods, including two polentas -- one wheat, one barley.

And then there was the "dayboard".  This was no paltry bread-and-
cheese-and-apples dayboard, gentles.  It was a feast, served buffet
style.  Chicken with sage sauce, roast beef, cameline sauce, pork rolls,
blancmange, pork meatballs with currents, roast carrots and parsnips,
many other things that I've forgotten, and half a dozen luscious-looking
desserts.  And it was there that I had my first acquaintance with Digby's
savory toasted cheese.  When I go to heaven, I know what will be on the
table, right next to the manna.

All of this, by the way, was done without benefit of a real kitchen.  The
event was held in a high school cafeteria, and the event staff did *not*
have access to the kitchen.  Some of it was precooked and was
reheated over sterno burners, in a small portable microwave, or in
crockpots.  Some of it was made on the spot, in electric frypans.  All of
it was delicious.

I dug out some of my embroidery to put on my table, but I also did a
little cooking.  I redacted a recipe for anise-flavored bizcochos (cookies),
and made 2 batches to bring along.  (Recipe in separate post.)  They
went over pretty well.  I gave away the leftovers, not wanting to have
temptation in the house.  However, I regret that I didn't save a few to see
how well they keep, sealed-up or frozen.  If I were doing them for a
feast, I'd want to do them in advance.  Anyone here familiar with how
egg-based cookies do in the freezer?  (These ones have mostly yolks
and a couple of whole eggs.)

Anyway, it was a very pleasant, relaxing event.  I'm only sorry that the
event had to close at such an early hour (6 p.m.).  As I told the autocrat
on my way out, quoting that venerable old song, "This sure was a real
nice clambake..."

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)