SC - Marwick Arts Exhibition

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Nov 7 21:27:48 PST 1999

And it came to pass on 6 Nov 99,, that Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:
> > Another lady at table near me had all kinds of herbal
> > vinegars, herb and spice breads, an interesting green honey mustard, and
> > pickled mushrooms (Lucky me -- I got to take home some of the leftover
> > mushrooms).
>
> Is _that_ where they all went?

She was wandering around, at event's end, with a half-full bowl, looking
mournful.  I heard her lament, "I don't know what's wrong with the
Southern Region -- I've never had leftovers before..."  I told her -- purely
as an act of charity and compassion, you understand -- that I would
take them off her hands.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it. <g>

> Lady Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Eisental...that
> green mustard kicked ***, didn't it?

I bit into it... and it bit back.  For a moment, I thought there was some
horseradish in it.  There was a *zing* that did not seem mustard-like;
perhaps it was the black pepper.  It was very satisfying.

> >  My baroness, Merlynia, had an assortment of
> > Roman foods, including two polentas -- one wheat, one barley.
>
> And who was the young man who helped make the polenta with the cheese? A
> well-dressed and well-spoken specimen of Romano-British kidhood...

This was the first time I'd met him.  Someone else referred to him as her
nephew.

> > I dug out some of my embroidery to put on my table, but I also did a
> > little cooking.  I redacted a recipe for anise-flavored bizcochos
> > (cookies), and made 2 batches to bring along.

> They looked and smelled lovely; for various reasons too complex to go into
> here, I was unable to taste most of the food on site.

You have my sympathy.  I know how annoying food restrictions can be.
Especially when people all around you are enjoying luscious things.

> Maybe next time...

That would be great.  Being still rather new at redacting, I appreciate
opportunities to try out dishes on willing guinea-- errr, knowledgeable
test subjects.  I was, I confess, somewhat nervous about my cookies.
I'd only redacted the recipe the day before, with only myself and my lord
to pass judgement on it before I baked it in quantity.  I wasn't sure how
objective I could be, and he *hates* anise.  (Nevertheless, he bravely
took a bite, to sample the texture and doneness.)  But the gentles there
seemed to find them acceptable, and I was somewhat encouraged when
one lady glanced at my basket and said, "Oh, so *those* are the
cookies I've been hearing about."  Since she took one and bit into it, I
assume that what she had been hearing was not a Dire Warning.

> These were different artisans from the usual stress-thriving organisms
> that have competition intineraries. As a result, I was forced to
> completely revise my view of the state of the arts in the East, or in the
> Souhern Region thereof. I'd always known we had some marvellous talent
> around, but much of this was just plain mind-boggling.

I was pleased, but not at all surprised, at the quality of the work that
was there.  I do think a lot of artisans/performers are competition-shy.
Many years ago, I journeyed to Ice Dragon to enter something.  Though
exciting, it was a very tension-filled day.  I have not since felt the need
to enter such a competition.  I get enough stress in my mundane life...
This was a far different experience, and for me, a much better one.

> My thanks to all involved...

And mine.  I hope that there will be more such events.

> Adamantius

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)