SC - A different kind of historical recreation

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Nov 8 14:39:12 PST 1999

At 4:59 PM -0500 11/8/99, Lurking Girl wrote:

>So--can anyone tell me what might have been served at a typical feast
>in ASXIII?  What were the sources everyone was using?  And what was
>considered bleeding-edge experimentation?

I can't speak to typical feasts, but I and some other people were
working from _Two Fifteenth Century Cookbooks_, _Al-Baghdadi_,
_Digby_, Le Menagier, Platina. I'm pretty sure that volume I of my
collection came out earlier than that. I don't think we had any
period German cookbooks, and the Andalusian and Ibn al Mubarrad
hadn't been translated into English yet. By AS XIII I would have
been doing feasts from primary sources for about seven years or so;
I'm not sure if anyone else was doing them earlier than that.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/