SC - Lord's Salt experiment. (long)

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 9 04:34:05 PST 1999

The use of copious amounts of Cinnamon in all of these recipes strikes a curious chord for me.  I read, this summer, an abstract of an article based on research done at Harvard, IIRC.  they determined that cinnamon had an effect on bacteria on food. . . I believe it was bacteriostatic.  The food with cinnamon basically retarded growth of bacteria, and the researchers suggested that cinnamon had the effect of protecting foods in the middle ages where it was used in the brines or marinades.

These recipes may be good support for that basic research.

niccolo difrancesco

sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG wrote:
> <<<SNIP>>>
How to make a sauce for lords and how many days it keeps. Take cloves and nutmeg, cardamom, pepper, cinnamon, ginger, an equal weight of each, except the cinnamon, which should be as much as all the others, <<<SNIP>>>