SC - survival/ camp cooking

Stephanie Dale Ross aislinncc at mailcity.com
Tue Nov 9 18:03:06 PST 1999

Greetings the list!

I want to start a new thread. I am a little nervous about the power going out at New Years, and would like us to kick around ideas of foodstuffs to have onhand at that time. I am not interested in hearing about personal opinions of what's going to happen or not happen over Y2K; I would like a serious discussion of things like: how to build a firepit, canned foods to have, cooking while rationing water etc. You know, how to cook without a cooler at war and what to bring? I have started a list of foods I plan to make/ buy. I don't have the time to do a lot of canning, and the expense of canning jars could be better spent on staples from the grocery store, IMO. I will also be living in Florida then, and 80 degree days pose their own problems of food storage, i.e. potatoes and root veggies spoil faster, bugs are abundant etc. How long will waxed eggs last? Is there any way to keep butter from going rancid? If Y2K IS a bust, as we all pray it will be, then we will have food for events for the next year, and plenty of recipes for cooking without electricity! Ideas for food on hand:

Pickled: eggs, beets, cucumbers and relish, Lord's salt beef, onions, cheese in oil, mushrooms

grains: pasta, instant rice, instant oatmeal, steel cut oats (oatcakes), flours (flatbread), Bisquick, corn meal (tortillas),Hummus mix, falafel mix, small packages of yeast, crackers

Liquids: canned milk, aseptically packaged milk, Juicy Juice, canned broth

condiments: small jars of mayo, minced garlic in oil, dried minced garlic and onion, olive and corn oil, peanut butter and jelly, nuts and dried fruit, boillion cubes, mustards

canned: veggies, fruit, meat, mushrooms and olives, spaghetti and tomato sauce, canned beans

I am especially looking for period methods of preserving and cooking foods, and am printing out everything I can find at the Florilegium and Miscellany. Papa, does this sound like an okay thread? We have discussed some camp and firepit cooking on the list, and I am hoping for more of that.

Aislinn Columba of Carlisle

- ---
Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.
Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
                                   - Elie Wiesel