SC - SC Melted Cheese

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Nov 9 22:13:07 PST 1999

Fiona asked about Elysant's Welsh Rarebit / "Caws Pobi" (Toasted Cheese)
recipe:
> I'm sure this is a really dumd question, but I will ask anyway, is
> the beer for drinnking purposes or do you put it in with the milk and
> cheese?

It's not a dumb question. Yes, the beer is to go into the cheese dish.
Actually there are a number of period dishes which use beer as an ingredient,
although there may be more that use wine. This may be skewed by the fact
that it is mostly the upper-class dishes that ended up in the written
cookbooks and wine tended to be the drink of the upper classes rather
than beer.

For some other examples of period recipes that include beer, take a look
at this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
beer-in-food-msg  (13K)  3/26/99    Period recipes with beer or ale in them.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net