SC - steaks

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Wed Nov 10 00:53:55 PST 1999

Stefan wrote:
>When I think of steak I think of slices of meat. I don't think of a steak
as
>being other than sliced. In this paragraph "steak" seems to be more used as
>synonymous with "chunk of meat" or perhaps "roast" as it then specifies to
>cut it into thick slices. Also the second time "steak" is used as "steaks
of
>hart, geese and ducks" seems to imply a more generic cut than I was
thinking
>of. Perhaps it is my knowledge of meat cuts which is the problem. Comments,
>anyone?

Or just that I´m being too influenced by the original text and by my native
language. You see, "steik" in Icelandic and Old Norse (English borrowed the
word from ON) can mean either roast or slice of meat; the original meaning
of the verb "steikja" is "to roast on a spit". So I´m probably just using
the wrong English word here.

But - your question made me realize that I´ve skipped a few word of the
recipe - "oc stekæ them wæl", which translates as "and roast them well"
(note stekæ = roast). And now I remember I had originally translated the
text something like this "take a roast of hart or deer ... and roast them
well" and when I read the text again I thought "hey, that doesn´t sound too
good" - and in trying to correct the mistake I bungled the text. Sorry!

Nanna