SC - oop Fish Fry

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 14:46:33 PST 1999

>  Hush Puppies
>  1 cup self rising flour
>  2 cups self rising corn meal
>  1 12 oz. beer
>  1 cup buttermilk (or enough to make a thick batter0
>  Mix all ingredients quickly together, drop by spoonfuls into hot boiling
>lard
>  or oil, and take up when they float and are a dark tan.  Drain on brown
>paper
>  and serve hot.
>
>  Some people leave off the beer and add 1 1/2 cup of tomato catsup
>(homemade
>  of course) >>
>
>     Beer!?!? Catsup?!?! First I've heard of those--'round these parts
>(Chattanooga, TN) the standard seems to be minced onion as the only
>additive
>to the batter................

Here's another regional variation:  in the central part of NC, now more
commonly called the REsearch Triangle Park area, BBQ places and fish
resteraunts will bring BUTTER to the table with the basket o'huspuppies, and
people dip the deep fried cornbread into the butter before eating.

Whew! You can hear your arteries protest!

I haven't seen this anywhere else, not at NC beaches, nor further west from
here.

Bonne