SC - Lord's Salt experiment. upcoming trial with venison

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Fri Nov 12 15:38:49 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/11/99 10:10:16 AM Eastern Standard Time, tori at panix.com
writes:

<<  1.Strong vinegar- someone posted that you need to use 7% versus the
ordinary
 > 5% acid level, >>

I had this thought after I posted: Was period vinegar already at 5% or did it
start out at a lower acidity than the commercial stuff we use today? I
imagine there is some stuff about this in Stefan's flori-thingy, and I should
just look it up, but it seems to me there was a discussion about this on the
Apicius list and we came to a group conclusion that the %'s were probably
lower than today. If that is the case (though I'm not sure that it is) then
the 5% would be appropriate and from your example, it may be the ticket.

Any thoughts

Hauviette