SC - Good Broth

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Nov 13 20:49:12 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/13/99 11:04:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lilinah at grin.net writes:

<< i don't think that it's amiss to
 encourage a bit more variety and thoughtfulness in the creation of
 feasts.

I agree but I believe the way to do that is to find period recipes that fit
the criteria not to distort those that do not. There are plenty of vegetarian
foods from period. My WoW feast included melons, grapes, bread, Browned
Vegetables, rice (the beef fat was left out in error), cabbages, frumenty,
apples, cider. Meat dishes were George Bruet, Goat in Winter and the
Rissoles. Any vegetarian would have been stuffed and meat eaters had ample.
ALL recipes were period except the bread and none used substitute ingredients
EXCEPT the rice in which water was substituted for the milk that had
scorched. OTOH, no one was expected to eat everything at a period feast
either. Diversity is the key, folks.

I see little need to 'encourage' new cooks to substitute things or compromise
recipes when it is clearly a better path to teach them to provide suitable
menus from period sources using period ingredients. When folks attend one of
my feasts or Master Adamantius' feast or Master Huen's feasts, they do so
with the total knowledge that it will be a means to further experience the
Dream and carry home another memory of the period. SCA cooks do not need a
hundred ways to make feasts more modern, they need to be taught to utilize
the hundreds of ways to make a feast more authentic. :-)

Ras